Sunflower Trail Festival in Gilliam, Louisiana

Saturday 9/26/20 - 10am till 4pm
LA Hwy 3049 & US Hwy 71

Please be sure to REFRESH this page to see latest updates. Swipe down on your phone, or click your Internet browser's Refresh button.

The Self-driving Tour is Free. The tour has been adapted this year due to Covid-19 guidelines.

Heritage and Harvest Festival in north Caddo Parish

Tour Attractions

The Heritage & Harvest Tour is featuring an "Old Fashioned Pouch Tour." Visitors are invited to enjoy viewing and stopping by the porches of nine beautiful homes in the country (The homes are not open for inside touring)
Maps and Tour information will be available at Hoogland Home (4610 Highway 3049 North), Belcher Presbyterian Church, Main Street Restaurant in Gilliam, and in all homes on tour.

Dixie

Highway 3049 — The community was named for Dixie Cross Roads in Bossier Parish from where many settlers migrated. The railroad came to the area in 1899. A cotton gin was on the left of the road in Dixie and a railroad depot on the right.

Belcher

Highway 3049 — The village of Belcher began in 1899 when steamboat landings at Rush Point and Briarfield on the Red River largely were bandoned and shipping traffic moved over to the railroad. A new community was named "Horseshoe" and later renamed “Belcher” in honor of John Belcher who owned the land.

  • Belcher Presbyterian Church - On Gray St/Hwy 3049. The present building, constructed in 1925, features the original pipe organ. Gail Moore will play the pipe organ from 10:00 AM - 12:00 Noon the day of the tour and also for the weekly Sunday worship services at 11:00 AM. Visitors are wlecome.
  • Horseshoe Bayou Bridge - Caddo St
    • Historic one-lane bridge built in 1915.
  • Veterans Memorial - On Gray St/Hwy 3049. Honoring all veterans.
  • D & I Country Café and Deli 312 Caddo Street Belcher 71004. Home cooked lunches and sandwiches served daily.

Gilliam

Highway 3049 — In the 1880s R. L. Gilliam came to the area and bought land. In 1898, when the railroad came through the area, Mr. Gilliam donated a right of way on the agreement that the railroad put a depot on the land and name it Gilliam. A post office was established in 1900. In the aftermath of a cyclone in 1908 which killed 40 people, the TS&N Railroad sent carloads of emergency supplies and provided railcars for temporary storage for belongings of the survivors.

  • Main Street Restaurant - 12807 Main Street Enjoy delicious food in an interesting and scenic setting in one of the original brick store buildings. Varied lunch menu selections available for lunch.
  • Red River Crossroads Museum - 12797 Main Street Located in the Gilliam Library. The Museum features displays dating from the Caddo Indian mounds to the development of plantations and towns following the clearing of the Red River raft. A special display depicting the recent discovery of the Caddo Indian dugout canoe in the Red River near Belcher.
  • Gilliam Gin Company - Highway 3049 South of Gilliam. See a modern cotton gin in operation. Learn about cotton harvesting and ginning at the Red River Crossroads Museum.

Hosston

Highway 71 North — The area was settled between 1830 and 1850 by George Hale. Just east of Hosston, a steamboat landing was used for selling wood to steamboat captains. A ferry was operated on Black Bayou for the distribution of mail up and down North Caddo Parish and into Arkansas until a post office was chartered in 1901.

  • Old Church House - Open new event venue
    • The Old Church House is the former Hosston Methodist Church. The McKinney's purchased and renovated the building to open as a Coffee Shop/Museum and a Farmer's Market. On Tour day the outdoor market will feature various arts and crafts vendors and McKinney Hill Farm products.
  • Big Mama's Antiques and Restorations 6403 Parkway Drive Hosston 71043
    • Shop interesting collectibles and hear about the early days of Hosston from owner Ray Stevenson. For more information 318-573-2127

Mira

Highway 71 North — The area was settled around 1872. The village originally was called Loma, and was later named Mira, after the daughter of an early settler.

  • Designs by Carol Quilt Shop - Hwy 71 North. Handmade quilts for sale or will quilt your tops. For more information please call 318-287-3380.
  • Cason's Muscadine Vineyard 7180 Mira Myrtis Road
    • Tour the muscadine vineyard on one of the highest hills near Mira. Enjoy free samples of the muscadine products made from the several varieties of muscadines.
    • Owned by owners of Designs by Carol Quilt Shop - 17558 Highway 71

Ida

The area was settled before the Civil War and named Ida after the daughter of the postmaster, Jonathan Chandler, when the Post Office was established in 1897. The original Post Office building is located on on Magnolia Lane.

Special Attractions at Each Location

Back to Top

← Back